Vienna, April 15 (IANS) Sports Minister and Vice Chancellor of the Austrian government, Werner Kogler, is not against the idea of this years Formula One Grand Prix at the Red Bull Ring taking place without spectators, he has said.
“We don't want to get in the way,” Kogler told reporters when asked if the government would allow the race to take place.
Kogler said travel restrictions could be a bigger hurdle than social distancing rules.
“This must then be considered within the framework of the existing restrictions on entry and exit (into the country),” he said. “I don't want to anticipate if an exemption will be needed here or there.”
Formula One motorsport managing director Ross Brawn had said that in the wake of the coronavirus pandemic, the 2020 season could potentially be held behind closed doors.
So far, nine races have been affected by the coronavirus outbreak, with the March 15 season-opening Australian Grand Prix cancelled along with May's showcase Monaco Grand Prix.
F1 is already working with promoters on a revised 2020 calendar with the actual sequence and schedule dates for races likely to differ significantly from the original calendar amid the COVID-19 pandemic which has claimed thousands of lives across the world.